What are your Labor Day plans?
1. Bold Color || I love all the bright and bold colors that are carrying through from summer into fall. Especially hot pink and purple. They're such a statement and can really make an outfit. That's why bold color is the number one trend this fall.
2. Metallics || There's no doubt that anything shiny and metallic is huge (once again) this season. Pick up great evening bag in gold or silver (or both!) because it will literally go with anything.
3. Cobalt || Move over Radiant Orchard. If there's one color I've noticed for fall it's cobalt! Seriously, cobalt is everywhere (Like this adorable Kate Spade dress!) and looks good on every skin tone. A bright bold blue bag would be perfect for the upcoming season.
4. Animal Print || Not that this even needs its own category, because I think the leopard print trend has established itself enough to be a staple now, but just to reiterate. Get a leopard print clutch! (I need one) I can literally think of endless things in my closet to style it with.
5. A Statement || Not that all of these bags aren't statements, but what I mean by this is a clutch in something that is usually reserved for a smaller accessory, like jewelry. I love this tortoiseshell one and pretty embellishments have been huge lately. I think a clutch like this could really be the finishing touch on a look to make it pop! (The tortoiseshell with a pink sheath dress? Yes please!)
6. Classic Fall Hues || I cannot wait to hear crunching fall leaves under my loafers and pick out pumpkins to carve. Which is why I just had to include this burgundy suede envelope clutch to the list. Wouldn't it be perfect with a plaid button down a little dressed up... Please excuse me while I day dream of cooler, crisper days :)
Which one is your favorite?
Pants \\ Sandals (Similar) \\ Belt (Old) \\ Shirt \\ Necklace (Similar) \\ Sunglasses \\ Bracelet (Old)
Now that Labor Day weekend is approaching, I'm actually getting a little sentimental that summer is coming to an end. Not that it's going to get cool anytime soon here, but I now I have to cram in the last bit of summer fun into a few days. This weekend, I spend the day exploring some of the parks here with the boyfriend. It was such a fun day of relaxing and exploring. This summer has been so busy that we've forgotten to have days like that, it was nice to be able to get out and enjoy the city.
Get the Look:
Ya'll, I've seriously been waiting (not patiently) ALL WEEK to share this with you guys. As you can see from the title...I'M HAVING A GIVEAWAY! It's really awesome too, $200 to Nordstrom, I kind of wish I wasn't hosting it so I could win it (Um...these boots please?).
So what could you do with $200 for Nordstrom? Oh I'm so glad you asked, because I've definitely got that covered. I've been perusing through their new arrivals lately (I really am going to need autumn to hurry up...) and compiled my favorites, check them out on the widget below:And definitely be sure to enter in the widget below, plus you'll get to check out a ton of awesome other bloggers! :)
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Ya'll I'm seriously super excited about fall. I think it's mainly because I am loving going fall shopping, and this is the first year I don't have to go back to school (#weird) but I cannot wait. Also, it's been very "fall like" here (probably not normal fall like but the temperatures are in the double digits and there has been rain...), in fact, I've seen some leaves scattered around my neighborhood, so I guess even the city is ready for autumn.
And this is why I have shopping bags full of things I cannot afford on just about every store website I frequent. I was able to narrow it down (but not really), and I thought I'd share with you all my favorite fall fashion essentials for 2014:
Herringbone Puffer \\ Leather Shorts \\ Cobalt Dress \\ Silver Loafers \\ Leather Clutch \\ Trench Coat \\ Statement Necklace
I'd love to know what your fall essentials this season are!
Not to toot my own horn...but the title of this post totally applies to the outfit I wore the other day, and MY NEW BLOG DESIGN! (I'm so clever) I love it, it's much more clean and grown up than my old blog, and the name isn't such a mouthful. (Daughter of a Son of a Sailor = 7 words!)
So last Thursday I got to not only go to Tootsies Fall Fashion Preview, but be IN the fashion show! It was so cool/nerve-wracking because I just knew I was going to trip and fall or stumble my words or something. Luckily it all went well (thank you, four years of architecture presentations).
I definitely didn't gravitate toward my usual style, I thought I'd try something completely crazy...and I'm not sure where I would ever wear this outfit...but I love it! It was so fun getting to run around the store and to find pieces to complete the look, and add a few of my own.
Here's what you aught to know about fall 2014 trends:
- Embellishments are still super in, think sparkles/sequins, leather accents, and fringe
- Simple silhouettes such as shift and sheath dresses are still making a punch, especially with fun accents
- Fur is, once again, big this year, so stock up on your fur coats, or use it as an accent
Thank you so much Tootsies and The Southwest Blogger Society for the opportunity to participate in this fun event!
What's the fall trend you can wait to try out?
Ya'll, I think this is the first time ever that I cannot wait for summer to end and for it to be fall. I'm not sure why, but this year I'm just ready for summer to be over. Maybe it's because it's been so hectic and busy with starting a new job and all, maybe it's because I can't wait to show you all what I've been working on lately (!!!), or maybe it's because of all the awesome new clothes I want to go shopping for. And can I just say that I want literally everything in Kate Spade's new collection? I love all the deep blues and greens and the adorable leopard print pattern, its just too perfect for fall.
The blue dress, with the bow? Yeah, that one will be in my closet. How perfect would it be for a fall event or night out? Maybe paired with some warm gold shoes and a clutch (and maybe those tortoiseshell earrings that I'm also lusting over). Check out the whole collection here.
Have you checked out their new collection? What's your favorite?
I know I've been a little scattered lately, but it's because there are a lot of changes coming soon to the blog. I thought I would make a quick post letting all my readers know so you all don't think I've gone crazy (also thanks for following/reading!).
It's funny because I'm at a construction site ;)
Launching in Fall 2014 will be Daughter of a Son of a Sailor 2.0 (with a new name and everything...but I'll let that be a surprise)!
So now I'm opening up the floor to you, what do you want to see more of on the blog? What should I do less of? Let me know! And be sure to keep an eye out this September for lots of awesome new things I have in the works! :)
With fall on it's way, I thought I'd show you five fall shoe trends that you can wear starting now. Even though it's the middle of August, and it's not even going to be cold here for another 2 months (at least)...I'm still totally into all the new fall stuff coming out. I'm officially over summer and I'm ready to wear layers, sit by a fire, and drink hot chocolate.
Loafers \\ Loafers are great for year round, but especially in the fall with their warm brown tones and ivy-style tassels. Wear them now with chino shorts and a button down for a classic preppy vibe.
Silver Flats \\ Metallic shoes have been super popular this spring and summer. Transition the trend into fall with metallic flats like these silver J.Crew flats. Wear them now with jeans and a t-shirt or a pretty sundress.
Black Booties (Similar) \\ I love these shoes, and they're definitely on my must haves for fall. They look so cool yet classic. Wear them now for a night out with a LBD or better yet a LWD (little white dress).
Leopard Flats \\ Leopard has definitely been a trend now for many seasons and I doubt it's going away. If you don't have a pair of leopard loafers or leopard flats yet...get them.
Rainboots \\ Even though summer here is hot and dry, there's definitely the occasional thunderstorm. I love the look of rainboots with shorts or even a sundress. Grab a pair for fall and start wearing them now!
What shoes are on your fall wish-list?
I'm so sorry I missed this post on Sunday, I was helping my boyfriend move into his new apartment this past weekend and it took the whole weekend! I feel like I barely got any time to myself! But it looks awesome, and I'm so happy he found his job and got settled. (Yay!)
Skirt: J.Crew Factory (Old) \\ Shirt: Banana Republic \\ Necklace: Gift \\ Shoes: Old Navy (Old) \\ Belt: Express \\ Bracelets: Kohl's & J.Crew Factory
I did get to go to Sunday morning brunch as a break from all the trips to Ikea and Target. I chose my mint skirt paired with an oxford and a touch of gold and silver for a casual yet cute look. I feel like the light color palette is perfect for a lazy Sunday morning filled with carbs and mimosas.
Hope your week is going well! :)
Shop the Look: